For those who are missing several teeth, veneers or tooth bonding may not be an option. However, dentures don't always sound appealing and may not always be good for younger patients. Rather than going with several missing teeth, there's another option out there. Dental implants are a good option for several reasons. This article lists 7 of the reasons why dental implants are a good option.
- They help improve the appearance and function of the smile. Having missing teeth can prevent a smile from having a nice appearance. This can lower one's self-esteem, as well as prevent them from wanting to smile. Dental implants replace the teeth, improving the aesthetics of one's smile.
- They look and function just like real teeth. Because they are not real teeth, many people worry that any kind of teeth replacement will be noticeable. They also worry about issues in the way they function. However, dental implants are not detectable from real teeth and, because they are implanted into the jaw, they are able to function just like regular teeth.
- They prevent jaw deterioration. Teeth support the jaw bone. When several teeth are missing, the jaw bone can deteriorate. Having dental implants in the jaw helps prevent the bone from deteriorating, as they provide the support that it needs.
- They are meant to last. Dental implants are meant to fuse with the jaw bone, becoming permanent. As long as they are properly taken care of, just like regular teeth, they should last for several years.
- They help improve speech abilities. For those that have several teeth missing, speech may become an issue. Getting the implants can help to improve speech patterns that were difficult before they were put into the mouth.
- They can make eating become easier. Because having missing teeth can cause issues in eating, getting the implants to replace teeth can help improve eating habits.
- They can help the face from changing shape. Not only do teeth help to support the jaw bone, but they also help keep the face shape regular. When the patient has several teeth that are missing for a longer period of time, their face can start to look sunken or sad. Getting dental implants can help to prevent this from happening.
- They help to prevent the shaving down of other teeth. Because veneers may be bigger than their surrounding teeth, this may require those surrounding teeth to be shaved down in order to fit the veneers in. Because dental implants don't need this, the natural tooth tissue is saved.
In the long run, it is between the patient and their dentist to determine if dental implants are right for the patient. Contact a local dentist, such as Greeley Dental Health, to discuss the best option for you.